The selection of critical industries was based on the following factors:
- Number of jobs
- Skill and education requirements
- Wage levels of critical occupations
- Career ladder opportunities
- Projections of future employment opportunities
Based on these criteria, four industries stood out as critical drivers of labor market demand, providers of employment paying sustainable wages, and offering career ladder opportunities on the North Shore.
- Financial Services
- Health Care
- Durable Goods Manufacturing
Among these four industries, there are high levels of current employment and a history of relatively high levels of employment in the region. There is a consistent demand for replacement jobs in each of these four industries.